Sewing is fun, it’s important to not forget that you’re working with sharp scissors and pointy needles. Here are some rules to keep you safe while you’re working:
- Wear closed-toe shoes.
- No goofing around and/or throwing things.
- No food or drink near the sewing machines or fabric.
- Be respectful.
- Place all pins and needles in a pin cushion or on a magnet when not using them.
- Always close scissors when not in use.
- Sew at a slow speed.
- Turn machine off when adjusting the needle, bobbin, or thread.
- Fingers should not be in front of presser foot, but on either side.
- Don’t force the fabric through the machine; let the feed dogs feed it through.
- Do not sew over pins. Always remove them when you reach them.
- Keep all tools in notions box.
- Keep your workspace clean.
- Only touch the iron by the handle.
- Iron only on the ironing board.
- Keep fingers and face away from steam.
- Place iron upright when done using.